American Harbor College History
American Harbor College was established in 1995, as Meridian Institute, to provide entry-level training in various career opportunities. The school was purchased by the Career Education Group, LLC in 2011. The name was changed in July 2012. In 2014, Brighter Solutions, Inc. operating under the dba of American Harbor College continues to update and improve its program offerings and facilities.
Innovative and experienced instructors are well-trained and hired to contribute their expertise in expanding the services and training programs offered by the school.
The college received accreditation from the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES) in 2006 and is approved through 2021. Programmatic accreditation was received in 2013 by The Commission on English Language Program Accreditation (CEA) for ESL courses received the full 5 year accreditation.
The mission of American Harbor College’s medical programs are:
The mission of the medical programs at American Harbor College is, “To provide quality and valued–training programs and services to our students in order for them to obtain the skills and competencies needed for entry-level positions in their chosen fields; to locate employment opportunities for our graduates; and to promote an environment for employees and students, which fosters teamwork, personal growth, and respect for the individual.”
American Harbor College is dedicated to providing trade and technical training relevant to the needs of the communities it serves. The school’s educational philosophy is to:
- Offer technical programs so that students can achieve their career, educational, and personal goals;
- Provide training using actual on-the-job situations so graduates can have the skills and competencies needed for entry-level employment;
- Ensure only relevant equipment and materials are used in the training of students; and
- Hire qualified instructors.
The mission of American Harbor College’s ESL program are:
The mission of American Harbor College’s ESL program is to provide quality English language acquisition instruction, using relevant equipment, materials, and technology, in order for our students to obtain the necessary skills needed for (academic preparation) including Personal, Public, Occupational, and Educational situations. Through real-world thematic units, students will learn, be exposed to, and be evaluated on English Language Skills.
- Students gain a foundation in language structure and become comfortable and confident in communicating with others in English
- Provide a safe learning environment that fosters social, emotional, and cultural development
- Instruct through thematic units that prepare students for real-world situations they will likely encounter
- Improve and enhance each student’s cultural competence
- Build off of and relate instruction to each student’s native language so that the student becomes multilingual
- Provide a progressive language acquisition program that allows students to enter at their appropriate English language level and to continue to develop their English language skills