Frequently Asked Questions for AHC

Take the next step and get answers!

Your First Name *

Your Last Name *

Your Phone Number *

Your Email *

Questions or Comments

Enter the Security Code*


By clicking above, you are giving your express written consent for American Harbor College to contact you regarding our programs and services using email, telephone or text. (**Standard rates may apply.)

What do I need to study at American Harbor College?

The first thing you need is to meet our admission criteria. You must have completed your high school studies in your home country, be a non-native English speaker and meet the minimum age requirements for each individual campus:

- 16 years of age

- If you meet these requirements, an application form

Once we have received your form you will be asked to provide us with;

  1. Copy of your passport that will remain valid during your entire stay in the United States
  2. A Bank Statement showing sufficient funds for the period of study
  3. If required, provide a Letter  of Support 

Once you have completed the application and have been accepted, American Harbor College will send you a welcoming letter and your I-20.

What kind of visa should I obtain? Where do I obtain one?

Because you will be a student, you must obtain an F-1 (student) visa. To obtain a student visa, you must contact your nearest U.S. Embassy.

For specific information on where to obtain a visa, go to and select the appropriate country and city.

I have a valid visa, but it is not F-1? What should I do?

If you are currently in the United States; apply to American Harbor College as normal. If you are accepted, we will assist you in changing your status to F-1.

If you are outside of the United States; apply to American  Harbor College as normal. Make an appointment with the U.S. Embassy to apply for an F-1 visa

What if I'm already attending another ESL program in the U.S. and want to transfer to American Harbor College?

The transfer process is quite simple:

  • Request an application form
  • We will send you a Transfer form to be completed and signed by your current Student Advisor
  • You will have to provide a copy of your passport, Visa, I-20 Form and I-94 and a Bank Statement showing sufficient funds for the proposed period of study.
  • If required, you might need to provide a Letter of Support 

What is SEVIS?

SEVIS stands for “Student Exchange Visitor Information System.” It is a web-based database that tracks all non-immigrants who are in the U.S. with F or J status. SEVIS is monitored by the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), a branch of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

For more information on F-1 rules and regulations, please refer to the BCIS website at

Who can attend?

Students who attend Open Hearts Language Academy are to have graduated from High School, be non-native English language speakers and meet the minimum age requirements:

- 16 years of age

How many levels are offered by the school?

AHC offers eight levels; , one Pre-Basic level, two Basic levels, two Intermediate levels, two Advanced levels and one Elite Level. Each level lasts twelve weeks.  A written and oral placement tests will be given to you on arrival to determine the level you will be starting at.

When do the sessions begin?

The sessions at AHC start, every two months

How long will I need to study at American Harbor College in order to complete the program?

This depends on the result of your placement exam. Each level at American Harbor College lasts 8 weeks and there are 8 levels. So if you start at the Basic 1 level, you will need close to 24 months to complete the entire program of study.

What is the American Harbor College schedule?

9:00 a.m. to 1:30 Monday through Thurday

What is the size of American Harbor College classes?

Even though our classes can accommodate up to 15 students we normally have an average of 8 to 10 students per class. This small class setting allows for our students to receive the individual attention required for them to succeed in their course of study.

Is there a Diploma or Certificate at the end of the program?

At the end of your program, you will receive a Certificate of Completion.

What happens if I get sick?

AHC does not requires that all international students carry proper medical emergency insurance. However, AHC does recommend insurance.

When and how do I pay the tuition fee?

Upon acceptance of your application, your application fees, tuition for the first 6 months [or up to your proposed length of study}

They can be paid by: sending a payment by wire transfer, sending a check drawn on a US bank or international money order or by credit card. American Harbor College accepts all major credit cards.

Do I get a refund if I can't get the Visa to enter a country?

If your visa is denied all tuition and fees (except the initial application fee, SEVIS fee and mailing fee) will be refunded.